Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Septology Project

This idea has just sort of snuck into my head and now it won't leave me alone. I haven't written a word down, but my head has just spiraled away with what this story is and where it will go. 

Here's what I know:

- Besides those four characters I outlined briefly in the earlier post, I have a bunch of spare characters floating through my head that had books/series' at one point but nothing substantial and so now they're waiting for homes and they would all fit in here pretty nicely.

- While there will be both male and female main characters, the only characters with POV points will be women. That's the plan! And that sounds kinda easy, but guys, can you think of an epic fantasy series that only relies on female narrative? I can't, at least not one of the extent to which I'm imagining for the breed of fantasy I want to write.

- It's going to be a cross between Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Throne of Glass. Okay I hate when publishers describe things like this, but those are the big influences on the series right now. It's not really a cross between any of those things but it's also definitely heavily influenced by those three.

- It's as much sci-fi as it is epic fantasy. So it's epic sci-fi (I guess??). Basically, there are at least four planets and each of them is a fantasy world (along the lines of Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings so like "epic" fantasy worlds) and they do communicate with each other. There will be a way for cross-planet travel. I'm thinking maybe ships (but not the rocket kind, the ocean kind except in space!)

- It's going to be massive. Like the size of Game of Thrones (I keep tossing that one around, huh? yeah, I was talking about it with someone and it spurred some ideas into action). Each book will be probably be around 300k a piece if not more. The store is huge because there are at least four planets to tackle.

- The plot is a huge work in progress, but I know basic character arcs and I know where I want the first book (and the second) to end for many of the characters.

When will I have time to work on it? Well, it will be reward, I guess. When I reach a certain amount of writing in my main project I'll let myself dabble with these books and these characters. I don't want to go full steam ahead, though, because I don't want to dedicate all my time to the series quite yet. I have so many ideas clamoring around my head and only so much time. I want this series on paper, but it's going to be slow going.

Also, regarding the all-female narrative for this epic sci-fi series, I really love this idea. BAMF women are my thing. But there are a lot of interesting men in the series and I wouldn't balk at writing short stories or alternate scenes from their point of view that wouldn't be part of the main book.

Well, that's what I've got so far for Septology Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment