Tuesday, July 26, 2016

TQR is getting a BIG change

I've been having a hard time with chapter length and point of view for TQR for a while now. I'm pretty set on having the book be exactly eight chapters + a prologue and epilogue (so, really, ten chapters total) and that Jocelyn would be the main narrator for these chapters with Wylan only chiming in with his POV every other chapter or so.

But it's led to one major problem- the chapters where they both have POV parts is split into two sections and so if an event I want Jocelyn to tell happens during the section of the chapter that would overall be better for Wylan then he's the one who tells that section of the story. And there's really nothing wrong with it, but I feel like it could be better from Jocelyn's POV.

So I've been tossing around an idea and I think, after I finish the Rough Draft and some early editing I'm going to shift the story to third person POV. Now, this is a huge change for the story. Most of the scenes are going to have to be rewritten entirely and the second draft is going to be closer to the first draft than the final one, which is a little of a setback. However, I think the story will be so much better with this change! And the plot will remain intact and will probably be stronger and smoother during the second draft so I really only have to focus on the words themselves which will lend itself to making everything read clearer and nicer.

Whelp, off to continue. Recently set some daily goals for myself (which involve over 2k words a day, gulp) and I need to really stick to these goals this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment